Tuesday, March 10, 2009

What's your "WHY"?

"What's your 'WHY'"? Rod asked.

I had no clue what a 'Y' was as it pertained to the ministry he was starting with two other guys.  Rod continued down the road "Why is the most important question that needs to be asked when you get into something.  If you have the wrong why, you won't succeed."

As I came to find out, Y was really WHY, and it pertained to the question and answer of "Why do you want to get into this?"  I've since turned it around to a few guys I work with to "Why did you take this job." and "Why are you still working here."

It has been said that if you ask why 5 times you get to the real root of what is going on (Sakichi Toyoda)

This principle is relevant in 3 main areas that our culture is undergoing right now.
1) Government
2) Religion/system of beliefs
3) Personal job/career choice

"What's your why?" 

Why is the government passing this bill?
Why do you believe what you believe?
Why do you want to work there?

For the purposes of career and job, it has a great deal to do with how motivated you are, how much you will care about your employer, and how loyal you will be.  If the why is money, then once the money is not there or not as much as you thought, then you will be discontent with your job.  If they why is hours, then once the hours are long or change, then you won't be happy. 

I'm not saying my "why" is the only why out there that is long lasting, but I am saying that my why has changed the way I view work and life.  If my why differs from this main why, then I often find myself doing things for the wrong reason.

I took my job because I feel like my Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ wanted me here.  He orchestrated the events around my interviews, and through prayer and wise council, I was lead to my workplace.  So they money isn't the "best",  I could be making more.  The hours are good, I really like what I'm doing, but most importantly, I feel like this is where God wants me.  That's what makes all the difference.
The other two guys, much like myself when I heard the story, asked "What do you mean, what's a 'Y'"?

"Why is the most important question you can ask as we get into this.  For if you have the wrong why then we'll never succeed."  

So true.  Figure out your why, and things will begin to make a lot more sense.
In addition, I challenge you to begin asking why 5 times on important and even seemingly unimportant issues.  

No comments:

Post a Comment